How do you slice tomatoes for tomato cabbage soup? It is essential to ensure you cut the tomatoes into very fine bite sized pieces.
Remember though, that the actual cabbage will wilt and shrink as well. The best way to avoid this is to shred it with a shredder.
But you could also just use a sharp knife and gently run it through it several times. Tomato Cabbage Soup is a classic Southern Chinese comfort food.
Although the exact origin of this Chinese soup that can be found in most Chinese households is somewhat unclear, historians have traced the recipe back to the Ming Dynasty. In fact, there are very few differences between this traditional Chinese vegetable soup and its modern counterpart in the United States.
With its robust flavor and mild spiciness, tomato cabbage soup is a staple diet for many Chinese people, especially during the cold winter months when they tend to avoid the traditional hearty meals. Tomatoes are one of the best and most favorite vegetables loved by all.
They are very easy to cook with and are always in season. Just a handful of other ingredients make all the difference in this Tomato Cabbage Soup recipe.
All you need is a good soup pot, a bunch of chopped onions, half of a teaspoon of dried thyme, some chopped carrots, a handful of green onions, some celery stalks cut into pieces, and some parsley. All you have to do is to combine all these ingredients in a pot, bring it to a boil and let it cool down. Then all you need to do is to add salt to taste, some black pepper, some sugar (just a little is fine), and you’re done.
Tomato Cabbage SoupCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This Tomato Cabbage Soup is vegan, easy to make and low in calories. It’s a delicious, light & healthy lunch that is inspired by the detox cabbage soup diet
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
3 celery stalks chopped
3 long carrots chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
15 ounces canned diced tomatoes with their juices
4 ounces tomato paste
4 cups vegetable broth low sodium
1 small white cabbage shredded (about 4 cups)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrots and saute for a few minutes until fragrant and tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, then season with salt and pepper, oregano and cayenne, and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and the tomato paste and mix well with the other ingredients.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the cabbage and simmer for 20 minutes until cabbage softens.
- Taste the soup and adjust seasoning as needed or add more water/broth to adjust the consistency.
- Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container. They will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Freezing Instructions: Cool the tomato cabbage soup completely. Then transfer it to single serving portions and store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
Reference : feelgoodfoodie.