Summer Squash Lasagna is a delicious and easy to make, healthy alternative to traditional lasagna that the whole family will love. Make this traditional Italian lasagna with meat by throwing frozen peppers, zucchini and cheese into a simple tomato-based sauce and topping with mozzarella cheese.
For an added crunch, top with coarsely grated parmesan cheese. For a delicious but healthy alternative, substitute skim milk or 1% fat milk. Leftover lasagna made with skim milk can be used as a dessert.
Summer Squash Lasagna is one of the easiest foods to make. You simply cook the vegetables and sauce together until the desired thickness is reached then finish with a layer of cheese over the top. I
find that using half of a pound of each size of cheese will give you enough for this recipe, but feel free to use as much or little as you like. This is a great dessert recipe to serve at your next cookout or just as a simple way to get some healthy ingredients in your diet.
Summer Squash Lasagna is the base to any type of Lasagna recipe. I like to keep a couple of layers of noodles on the bottom while cooking the sauce and other ingredients for the second layer of noodles on top.
In this instance, I used long grain tofu in place of regular flour. The tofu didn’t change the texture much but added a nice texture to the dish. Using a non-stick frying pan and lining the inner pan with vegetable cutlets made a huge difference in the cooking time.
Summer Squash LasagnaCourse: MainCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
Summer squash lasagna, looks and tastes very similar to a traditional lasagna recipe but much healthier! Make with either zucchini or yellow squash that is thinly sliced lengthwise with either a mandoline slicer or a knife. Gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb and ketogenic.
2 large zucchini or yellow squash
1 lb ground turkey, chicken or beef (16 oz)
2 cups mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (1 oz)
15 oz container ricotta cheese
1 cup tomato sauce (8 oz)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon Salt I love this Himalayan pink salt
- Preheat oven to 400F (200 C)
- Cook ground turkey, chicken or beef in a large pan on the stove over medium heat, until no longer pink (approximately 5-7 minutes).
- While the turkey is cooking, prepare the squash. Cut off the ends, and using a mandoline slicer or knife, slice squash lengthwise into long thin strips that resemble lasagna noodles. Approximately 1/4″-1/3″ (6-8 mm) is an ideal thickness.
- Place one layer of squash on the bottom of a baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix ricotta cheese with 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and the garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt. The sauce will help to make the ricotta a bit more liquid, so it can be more easily spread out on top of the zucchini.
- Add approximately 1/3 of the ricotta mixture on top of the zucchini in the dish. Using a spoon, spread out mixture evenly.
- Add approximately 1/4 of the remaining tomato sauce, 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of the cooked meat.
- Repeat process to form three layers.
- On top of the third layer, add remaining ingredients and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until you can easily slide a fork into the zucchini without much resistance.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for several minutes before serving.
Reference : theharvestskillet.