Lemon Cookies are delicious little cookies that are absolutely perfect for any occasion. Although they are simple and not particularly elaborate, the end result is certainly worth the effort.
The recipes for the original recipe for the Lemon Cookies call for both oil and butter, along with both coarse and smooth sugar. This combination produces a rather unique flavor with a light crumb, a fine texture and a nearly even shortbread-like texture.
I’m not sure if I’ve ever had Lemon Cookies (written as “lemons” in the US, probably Canada too) but these days I do. I love lemons and all things lemons.
They make great bread, great pie, are great for cookies, etc. I’ve even used lemons to clean windows. Yes, that’s a specialty of mine.
If there’s a cookie that defines summer as it’s certainly the lemon cookies. These lemon cookies are rather soft, delicate, and not too sweet – just the right cookie for a cooling cup of tea or coffee in the afternoons.
Soft lemon cookies really are perfect for those who are used to working with more traditional cookie recipes. You can find all kinds of different recipes that call for limes and they go great when mixed with mints, honey, blueberries, or even some cranberry juice. Originally these cookies were adapted to the Italian diet which pretty much translates to saying that they are healthy and good for you.
Lemon CookiesCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Soft bakery style lemon cookies with a lemon zest glaze
1¾ cup all purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon zest, (1 small lemon)
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp lemon zest
⅓ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Prepare a large baking sheet with a non-stick spray, or parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
- In large mixing bowl beat the butter for a few seconds, add the sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, vanilla, and lemon juice. Mix until fully combined.
- Continue mixing while you add in the dry ingredients. Mix until fully combined.
- Drop cookie dough by the spoonful onto the prepared cookie sheet. Bake until light golden on edges, approximately 12- 14 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool on the cookie sheet about 5 minutes and then remove to continue cooling on a wire rack.
- Once cooled prepare the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest together until well combined. Spoon onto the top of the cookies. Allow to sit and dry, glaze will harden.
- Store cookies in airtight container at room temperature.
Reference : houseofyumm.