When I think of Moroccan cooking, one of the first things that usually comes to mind are sweet potatoes, and one of the easiest ways to incorporate them into a meal is through the use of an instant pot. What you can do in this way is to cook the sweet potato (or sweet potato soup if you are serving it) in the pot itself, which will give you instant heat and keep you from having to wait for the sweet potato to become tender.
If you are looking for a healthy yet filling meal, try this spicier version of Moroccan sweet potato soup! Instant Pot Spicy Moroccan Sweet Potato Soup with Cumin is easy to make and very healthy.
This delicious soup is a great solution for those of us that have no time or energy wasting slow cooker. The ingredients are simple, yet the spices are plentiful which will give a spicy sweet potato treat for dinner.
This soup with cumin can satisfy even the pickiest eaters but be sure to serve it up quickly as the spicy sweet potatoes can get to be addictive! If you have never tried Moroccan or spicy soups then you are missing out on one of the world’s greatest culinary creations.
Instant Pot Spicy Moroccan Sweet Potato Soup is as traditional and exotic as the food it produces. Rich with spices, its contents melt in your mouth leaving you eager for seconds.
The distinct taste of stewed sweet potatoes mixed with broth and chicken stock is truly unique. The resulting soup has a kick that burns all your nerves. A real treat for any food lover.
Instant Pot Spicy Moroccan Sweet Potato SoupCourse: DinnerCuisine: moroccanDifficulty: Easy
Spicy Moroccan Sweet Potato Soup can be made in the Instant Pot or Stove-Top! This hearty vegan sweet potato soup features chickpeas and veggies in a flavorful harissa spiked broth.
2 lbs sweet potato
1 cup diced onion (white or yellow)
2 cloves garlic
15.5 oz canned chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 TBSP harissa paste
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
fresh cilantro leaves for topping
- OPTIONAL EXRAS
crushed red pepper flakes
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Dice onion and mince garlic. Drain and rinse chickpeas and set all your veggies aside separately.
- Switch Instant Pot to SAUTE function and add a little cooking oil to the inner pot. Once hot, sauté onions until slightly tender, adding garlic at the very end and mixing well.
- Turn OFF Instant Pot and add vegetable broth. Mix well or scrape to deglaze the pot and make sure no browned bits of onion are left stuck to the bottom.
- Add sweet potato cubes, chickpeas, harissa paste, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Lock lid with valve in the sealing position. Set to 3 minutes HIGH pressure. Soup may take 15-18 minutes to come to pressure before starting 3 min cook time. When the IP beeps, allow to naturally depressurize for 5 minutes then quick release the remaining pressure by flipping valve to venting position.
- Allow a spoonful or so to cool and give it a taste! Adjust spice level to taste (I added extra harissa and red pepper flakes) and add any additional seasoning desired.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges that can be squeezed into the soup for a burst of citrus flavor! A little cinnamon, greek yogurt, or coconut milk also make tasty additions to this soup. We love ours with a side of toasted naan for dunking. Enjoy!
Reference : peasandcrayons.