Dishes such as these are normally everyday comfort foods. Food cooked lovingly with a lot of love and attention. Food often grown with a spirit of giving that makes them unlike any other dishes.
Comfort food not just derived from the pleasure of enjoying the food itself but also from the satisfying process of performing a familiar, normal, and routine act. This particular dish of Chicken and Rice Recipe is exactly that type of comfort food to me.
Dishes such as these are almost always comfort food. Food usually grown with very little other consideration except for the enjoyment of consuming it. Comfort brought not only by the pleasure of consuming the food but also by the satisfaction of doing something familiar, normal, and routine.
This dish of Chicken and Rice makes that type of comfort food for me! I love this meal more than any other in my life. I make it often and have even served it at family reunions. A traditional comfort food, often associated with southern cooking.
Here in the mid-south Chicken and Rice can be called Chicken Pileau or (perri, or perneu) Chicken Pail or (piles). While every will have a little variation in ingredients (some versions may even include wine and/or sausage), nearly all will contain two things in common: chicken which has been cooked in a simple pot of its broth, and rice to soak it all up. The difference is, most recipes call for chicken, whereas perrier and paupers call for rice.
CHICKEN AND RICE RECIPECourse: Chicken Main DishesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
An easy, healthy dinner made with simple and real ingredients in just one pot. Perfect for any night of the week!
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs , or breasts (cut into 1-inch pieces)
3-4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion , diced
2 carrots , peeled and shredded
2 celery stalks , chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 cups jasmine rice , rinsed (basmati or brown rice works too)
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley salt and pepper to taste
- Heat extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat in a 3 quart pot.
- Place chicken thigh pieces into the heated oil. Add plenty of salt and pepper. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add diced onion and garlic to the pot with the chicken and sauté for another 3 minutes. Next add the carrots and celery.
- Increase the heat to high and add broth, then stir in the rinsed rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Stir again and then cover and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked (stirring occasionally).
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Add more salt, pepper or seasonings if desired.
- Can used cooked chicken if desired. Simply skip step #1 and add in while sautéing veggies.
Reference : iheartnaptime.