If you are looking for a quick and easy meal to prepare, I would highly recommend that you give Barley Soup a try. I have made this soup several times over and am always in awe at how easy and delicious it is.
I make this soup in a pressure cooker and usually put in a can of whole fresh milk. This soup is a big favorite in our home, but I also like to add chopped carrots and celery to it as well.
I usually throw in some frozen cherries, a bunch of peas and a can or two of tomato sauce. This barley soup reminds me of what my mother used to make on Sundays.
But now I guess, just like most of us, feel like there were way more vegetables and less barley to be had. Still it was not something that had ever been done much, so actually don’t remember much about the way it was made.
But that doesn’t mean that I don’t know any recipes for barley soup – I simply don’t have the time to look them up! Barley soup. If there’s a meal in a food that is here to stay, I bet it’s this soup.
My father grew up eating this hearty soup with his daily beef stew. If you could get a hearty and satisfying soup, am truly happy.
Serve with warm crusty bread or cornbread for a satisfying meal. This beef barley soup actually reminds me of what my mom used to cook.
Barley SoupCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Homemade healthy barley soup recipe. A perfect option to add whole grains to your diet. Ready to enjoy in about 30 mins.
3/4 cup pearl barley
1 celery stalk finely diced
1 onion finely diced
1/2 cup finely diced carrots
1 tomato finely diced
2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth if vegan)
2 cups water
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
1/4 cup chopped spring onions
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic and saute until fragrant for about 30-40 sec
- Add onions and saute until lightly golden brown for about a min. or two Then add all the remaining ingredients except spring onions and let it boil.
- Simmer on low heat for about 30 min. or until the barley is tender
- Garnish with spring onions and serve warm to enjoy a bowl of barley soup
- If necessary add more chicken or vegetable broth.
- You can also make barley soup in Instant Pot. Follow this recipe to make Vegetable Barley Soup in Instant Pot